Historic Town Pound
In 2003, Ann and Jack Middleton donated approximately 2.5 acres of land known as the Town Pound to the Land Trust. This site contains the remnants of a stone structure, in use from 1809 to 1879, which temporarily housed farm animals that had been at large and doing damage to crops or land of other property owners.
Cattle, swine, horses, sheep and other creatures would be taken to the pound and kept there, at the owner’s expense, until claimed and taken home. Since the site borders Riddle Brook and the Van Loan Preserve, the historic Town Pound further increases the size of contiguous conservation land in the area. In 2006, the cost of restoration of the stone walls was donated by the Silberberg family.
Address: Corner of N. Amherst & Wallace Roads Bedford, NH
*BLT owned *Public access allowed
Passive recreation is allowed, such as hiking, snow shoeing, cross-country skiing & bird watching. No motorized vehicles.
Parking: There is off-street parking parallel to North Amherst just west of Wallace Road
Click on the image above or any thumbnail below to view a gallery of images.